Sunderland Aquatics Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tank just to hot :(

+2
Carly
mat.knott
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tank just to hot :( Empty Tank just to hot :(

Post by mat.knott Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:12 pm

We have had the RO water in the tank a few days now and i have added most of the salt however i just cant get the tank to cool down enough. Im not sure if its the lights or room temp but the tank is so walm i dont even have the heater plugged in Shocked

What temp should the water be at as its arround 30 deg at the moment. If i remember correct i need the salt to be 1.23 (i think lol! ) but will it matter what the temp is to get it to this or should i get the temp correct and then worrie about the salt.

i have heard about chillers... but are the expencive and do i realy need one?

mat.knott

Back to top Go down

Tank just to hot :( Empty Re: Tank just to hot :(

Post by Carly Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:11 am

I thought the salt should be 2300??? OR am i getting mixed up again?

I hope someone can help soon, I'M FREEZING cos some numpty said I hadda turn off my heating to try and cool the tank down lol.

Is it possible the termometer is knackered? lol

ps thelights not been on since yesterday and it STILL between 29 and 30! Surprised

Carly

Back to top Go down

Post by mat.knott Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:23 am

i might be wrong but im sure the salt thing dont even go up to 2300 Rolling Eyes

mat.knott

Back to top Go down

Post by Carly Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:39 am

maybe it's 1.23?? I dunno, you still got the book, look it up

Carly

Back to top Go down

Post by Carly Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:45 am

The optimum temperature should be between 23 and 28 degress, and salinity for fish and invertebrates (wot I will have later on) is 1.023 (see I knew there was 23 in there somewhere)

arent I clever?

(or rather google is lol)

"Specific gravity, a relative measure of water density, is normally maintained between 1.020 and 1.024 in aquariums with fish only, and 1.023 and 1.026 for aquariums containing invertebrates"

Carly

Back to top Go down

Tank just to hot :( Empty to hot

Post by Dan Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:49 am

Hi

The temperature should be at 25 degress and the salinity should be 1.023
the thermometer dose sound knackered Question

hope this helps lol!
Dan
Dan
Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by Carly Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:53 am

we got 2 thermometers in there now, bought a new one to check lol.
They both read the same!!

Carly

Back to top Go down

Post by johnridley Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:18 pm

hi there its defo too hot, u want it about 24'c and the salt at about 1.024 if possible

johnridley

Back to top Go down

Post by mat.knott Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:19 pm

any idea how we can lower the temp?

we dont have the lights on (light as part of the filter is on all the time - gives light and dark part for different things to grow) and the heater is unplugged and yet its still at 30 deg.

mat.knott

Back to top Go down

Post by Carly Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:13 am

s'ok, I give up.

I'm going to just sell the tank and forget it.

Carly

Back to top Go down

Post by johnridley Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:16 pm

hi, hope you aint give up yet Sad is youre thermometer working ok?? is the tank next to a radiater???? does it get direct sunlight on it????? hope this helps!!!!

johnridley

Back to top Go down

Post by Carly Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:59 pm

well so far I have invested 5 weeks of time and over £800 to get....

a tank of "too hot" salty water.

Am fed up. :-(

Carly

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:27 am

Hi
My tank runs at 27.c my fish and corals are ok if you can get yours to that it will be ok lol!
it should be at 24 -25 but like i say mine are fine at 27 Wink
Dan
Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by Carly Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:20 am

anyone wanna make me a sensible offer on an aqua one reef 200 set up?
Cost me £599 6 weeks ago, had salty water in it but no coral or fish or anything other than sand and water.
COmes on wooden cabinet stand with cupboard doors on front.

also selling small household RO unti, worth £89.99, again open to sensible offers.

Carly

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:33 am

Hi

Don,t quit spent all that money and you will not get alot back just push on with the project and you will be happy that you did Wink marine tanks are very rewarding when you finish setting them up Very Happy
Dan
Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevinuk32 Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:20 am

Carly,

Where abouts are you? Maybe someone would offer to come and have a look for you?

What equipment do you have in the tank or sump that might be giving off some heat? As John has mentioned, is the tank in direct sunlight, near a radiator or fire? The room temp would not cause the tank heat to rise and stay stable at 30 so it has to be something heating the water in my opinion.

As for water parameters, dependent on what you intend to stock, you need you SG (specific Gravity) to be around the 1.025/1.026 mark. Fish shops run at a lower rate soely because its cheaper and in the short term is OK for most stock but you will get better colours and life at the higher end of SG.

All that said and done.. Stability is the key. Keep the tank temp at 30 and the SG at 1.023 ALL THE TIME and you wont have too many problems!

Hope this helps somewhat

Kev Smile

Kevinuk32

Back to top Go down

Post by Carly Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:01 am

Hi Kev

thanks for your reply.

The tank is about 6 ft from any heat source, I dont think it get too much direct sunlight on it. But may get some during the day.

We turned off all pumps lights etc, the temp dropped, so we put them back on one by one. Mat is dealing with it for me, so will have to ask him which one it was heating it up.
I not even looked at it in days.
Could always use it as a pool for my chihuahua's lol

I'll check in a bit what levels we're currently at, cant be bothered getting out of my arm chair right now lol.

Carly

Back to top Go down

Post by Carly Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:19 am

temp is now at 27-28 (kinda in between) salinity gone down a little to 1.018

Carly

Back to top Go down

Post by mat.knott Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:09 pm

Hi kev,

the tank is a aqua one reef 200 and has a built in filter. the main bit is 160L and the filter part is 40L.

I turned it all off and the temp did go down. i have since turned them all back on including the lights and it sits at around 26C.

what i have noticed though is that when the room temp is hotter the tank is hotter.

what i might try is turning it all off for 24 hours and then turn one on at a time for 24 hours and see when the temp goes up. ill also keep a note of the room temp to see how it relates.

im not 100% sure the salinity reading above is correct as it was about 1.020 and i have added more salt since then to up it to around 1.023. Is it possiable for the salinity to be different at different depths?

mat.knott

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevinuk32 Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:28 pm

mat.knott wrote:Hi kev,

the tank is a aqua one reef 200 and has a built in filter. the main bit is 160L and the filter part is 40L.

I turned it all off and the temp did go down. i have since turned them all back on including the lights and it sits at around 26C.

what i have noticed though is that when the room temp is hotter the tank is hotter.

what i might try is turning it all off for 24 hours and then turn one on at a time for 24 hours and see when the temp goes up. ill also keep a note of the room temp to see how it relates.

im not 100% sure the salinity reading above is correct as it was about 1.020 and i have added more salt since then to up it to around 1.023. Is it possiable for the salinity to be different at different depths?

Hi Mat,

I would agree with what you are doing to try to get to the bottom of the heat problem. I still feel that the room temp would not influence the heat of the tank that much unless you are living in a greenhouse or the tank is in a consevatory. 26c is a fab temp for the tank to be at so as long as it stays very close to that you will be fine.

SG is a different story... once you have yours set it SHOULD stay the same because the evaporation of the water does not take away the salt. When you top up you top up with only RO water so the salt is still in the tank. The SG will be same at the top of the tank as it is at the bottom of the tank. What are you testing the SG with? Is it a Swing Arm Hydrometer? If it is you need to pick it up, walk to the kitchen bin, open the bin, drop it in the bin, shout at it saying "What a pile of crap you are" and walk away. You really need to be testing SG with a Refractometer. Hydrometers are so hit and miss you could be miles out with your readings and be adding salt unnecessarily. I am off out now so cant say much more....

I can pop over sometime if you wish to have a look and test your SG?

Kev Smile

Kevinuk32

Back to top Go down

Post by mat.knott Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:50 pm

hi kev, thanks for your reply

to be honnest i dont have a clue what a swing arm hydrometer or a refractometer is... we just went in sunderlad aquatics and said we needed a salt tester and came away with one.

it does have a arm on it so im guessing its the hydro one Sad

mat.knott

Back to top Go down

Post by Carly Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:10 pm

I have only one thing to say PANTS lol

Shocked

I guess we will get there in the end, but boy is it taking ages.

So mat are ya calling me stupid? saying i cant read the little plastic doo dah thingy telling me salt levels???? cos ya can always pop over and read it yaself ya know!!!
(he gots a man cold at the minute lol)
THe kids are still waiting for the rock egss to hatch lol. Do you think we should tell them we made that up?
Little un checks everyday for rocks!!

Mat does think I live like my gecko, that I have my living room too hot. Even made me turn the heating off one day to see if it was that, I was flippin cold all day!!!

I KNEW I shoulda just bought a shebunkin ha ha

Carly

Back to top Go down

Post by j.h78 Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:09 am

dont sell up , i have been running mine for about 8 months now and in the first 3 months i could have quit near on every day , marine is bloody hard to get started but well worth it once you get the set up right ,
if it were me ,
i would take the heater out nad observe the temp after a few hours , see what it drops to aS IT MAY BE THE HEATER THAT IS BUGGERED , AND TO LOSE MONEY , TIME AND ENTHUSIAM OVER A £20 HEATER WOULD BE A REAL SHAME , sorry hit caps by mistake then , i wasnt shouting ,

j.h78

Back to top Go down

Post by j.h78 Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:16 am

[quote="Kevinuk32"]
mat.knott wrote:es up. ill also keep a note of the room temp to see how it relates.

yes it is absolutly possible for the salinity to be differatnt at depths , if you bang the salt stright into the tank (which i have done , you shouldnt do it but i have) and read it stright away then yes it will vary as the salt needs about 24 hours to mix in to the water properly,

as the prevoius post stated if you need some help please ask , i can check with hydrometer etc

i am no expert by any means but the learning curve on marine is very steep ,

speak to sunderland aquatics or post your questions they may seem daft but i have probley alreay asked them before so dont worry

j.h78

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevinuk32 Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:51 am

I can pop over later this afternoon and check your SG with my refractometer if you wish. I could also give you a second opinion on where the heat might be coming from?

I could try and point you in the right direction as to where you need to be going with a new tank.. after all, we have all set up a new tank at least once and know the pitfalls that we had to overcome. And as j.h78, I am no expert in marines but have had two tanks now, succesfully, for almost two years. Its hard work but very rewarding in my opinion

Upto you

Kev Smile

Kevinuk32

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next